From Our Sponsors:

The Many uses of Magic Erasers

We all know and love ‘em…Magic Erasers are a mother’s best friend when it comes to cleaning the impossible to clean! I can’t tell you how many times I have given up on something my kid has “decorated” with sharpie, only to remember the Magic Eraser and think, “well, it’s worth a shot!” Minutes later my beloved African drum is SAVED!!

By now no one should need convincing that every home should have Magic Erasers on hand…but wouldn’t you like to know EVEN MORE REASONS they are awesome? I thought so… Did you know that our beloved eraser can also…

• clean & polish gold jewelry
  • remove tarnish from silver
  • clean mirrors in the bathroom (keeps shower mirrors from fogging)
  • remove hair dye from countertops & floors
  • clean light-colored suede
  • clean sticky/dusty range hood over the stove
  • remove melted plastic on the side of the toaster oven
  • clean dish drainers that are gunked with lime and build-up
  • clean window screens (even when they are still in the window)
  • remove pet & child vomit from carpet or clothing
  • clean stained caulking along the kitchen sink & countertop (this has been my FAVORITE discovery so far!)
  • clean doll faces
  • remove paint scratches on your car from minor fender benders
  • there’s controversy about this, but some people swear by using it to whiten their teeth!

There’s a ton more ideas here, including some tips on extending the life of your eraser. It’s worth reading through the comments as well, as many people give great ideas and their success stories!

What surprising use have you found for your Magic Eraser?

10 Responses to The Many uses of Magic Erasers

1. Condo Blues says:

I didn’t know about Magic Erasers removing hair dye from counters and floors. You are my new BFF!

• Breanna says:

This was a wonderful discovery for me too! I’ve got hot pink in my hair, and every time I wash it, it splatters all over the shower walls and instantly stains! Magic Erasers save the day (again!)!

2. C.K. says:

Funny, I thought to myself long ago “I bet you it would whiten teeth” but it has formaldehyde in it and that’s now a good thing to swallow.

3. Kellie says:

GREAT for removing that ground-in grunge in anything plastic…trash cans, plastic patio furniture, cutting boards, window and sliding door frames, scuffs on white sports shoes or vinyl floors, stains on countertops. Removes soap scum from bathroom fixtures

4. Lise says:

Just a warning tho…do NOT use it on skin! Yeah, we found this out the hard way. During some really hot sticky summer weather, I had put on bug spray & sunscreen. Then, a plastic cup with ink laid against my leg & the pattern of “Pepsi” and “Mountain Dew” transferred themself to my leg. Our friends’ parents suggested the Magic Eraser to take it off. Sounds sensible, right? Takes ink off everything else! So we scrubbed off as much as we could with plain soap & water, then used the Eraser on my leg. It did get it off. However, in about 15 minutes, my leg started burning. Then it started bubbling up & blistering right before our eyes. Sounds like some horrible urban myth, but I know bear a permanent scar across the whole back of my leg where we used it.

5. Holly says:

We recently bought a house with an inground vinyl liner pool. I used magic erasers to clean the top of the liner, the white steps on the ladder (even the ones under the water), and the slide. It worked great!

6. GeorgiaAnn Aeverman says:

I teach watercolor painting….we use magic erasers to remove color from the watercolor paper, when we have a mistake. It takes the color off…almost to the white of the paper. Rub gently so as to not rough up the paper too much.

7. heidi says:

These magical things removed sharpie marker ftom my white refridgerator!

8. Beckie says:

also gets crayon off of everything! I even used it on our leather couches to get ball point pen ink out. (Can you tell I have a toddler?)