When I came home with a few bags of dollar store supplies for fall decorating, I didn’t have anything specific in mind. I mostly just laid it all out on the table and stared at it until I thought of a few things. This wreath was the first thing to come to mind. The packages of colorful autumn leaves were just begging me to put them into a wreath and hang them on my front door! This project took maybe 45 minutes total and was really very satisfying!
- old pizza board or cardboard cut into circle- on hand
- fall leaves- $1 for a package of 10 in one color/shape. (I used about half of each package from all 4 varieties)
- container filler- $1 (very little was used in this project)
- hot glue gun/glue sticks- on hand
- manilla folder or cardstock- on hand
- scrapbook paper- on hand
- optional: electronic cutting machine
Total cost- under $5
Originally I planned to use a foam wreath form for this project, but after playing around with that a bit, I didn’t like it at all! It was late at night (as you can see from the dimly lit photos) and I just stood there looking around my house hoping to find a solution. Slow motion AHA! moment as I saw the pizza board from dinner earlier that night and I was off and gluing!
I started by cutting the stems off of the leaves. This required slightly stronger than normal scissors as there’s a bit of wire in there. Next I glued each leaf down around the outside of the circle, then another layer until the cardboard was covered. Here’s how it looked at that point:
I thought that was actually lovely on its own, but felt like it still needed something else. I decided to use my new cricut (hooray!!) to cut a large N (for our last name) out of cardstock and a piece of scrapbook paper that was similar in color to the “cranberry” container filler. I used a glue stick to adhere the two N’s together (for stability).
Next I glued the little cranberries down onto the N using my hot glue gun. If I was more of a craft perfectionist, I’d have chosen an N with all straight lines instead of curved corners to look a bit more crisp. I think it looks pretty great though, even slightly messy! The I put a bunch of hot glue on the back of the N and slapped it onto the wreath. I was worried that it wouldn’t be quite secure enough or that the little berries would fall off, but when I was hanging it the next morning I dropped it and it hit the ground pretty hard and was completely in tact!