From Our Sponsors:

Make Spinach Chips (Your Kids will LOVE!)

Oh, you think I’m absolutely bonkers huh? Well try this on for size: every photo in this post is my own, except the lovely shot above (taken from The Food Faffer) because my 4 year old uber-picky eater ate ALL the spinach before I could get a lovely “after” picture of my own!

I’m obsessed with kale chips. Obsessed. They’re super nutritious, shockingly delicious, and cheap! I’ve been making them and eating them several times a week for about a year now, and my husband (who eats junk food the way I eat broccoli and still manages to be svelte…jerk) and daughter (who would prefer that crackers be her primary food source) have both become pretty well addicted to them as well. I’ve been wondering lately, though, if the same quick and easy process for kale chips could be used for any other veggie, to add some variation and a few different nutrients to our repertoire. Turns out the process is exactly the same for spinach!

So, here in one simple tutorial, you’ll learn how to make both spinach and kale chips! Don’t be afraid of it, and stop questioning if your kids will REALLY eat them…they will!

What you’ll need:

• spinach or kale
  • parchment paper (just a few bucks at any store)
  • salt
  • optional: oil of choice (olive oil, coconut oil, MCT oil-my personal favorite for this recipe)
  • optional: other seasonings/herbs- whatever you like, lots of options here to change it up!
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Lay parchment on cookie sheet. This is optional for kale chips, but absolutely needed for spinach chips.
2. Spread kale or spinach in a single layer on parchment. Spinach specifics: you can simply sprinkle with salt (or the seasonings of your choosing) and bake at this point, or you can add just a bit of oil and spread it around the spinach first. I’d say about a teaspoon for one trays worth of spinach. The end result is about the same with or without oil. Kale specifics: Before spreading kale on the cookie sheet, toss with a bit of oil. I find oil really results in a better kale chip. Once on cookie sheet, sprinkle seasonings of your choice
3. Bake: you’ll need to pay attention your first time through to know specific times for your oven. I found that spinach took about 10 minutes, and kale usually takes about 13 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when they’ve shrunk quite a bit, have browned and little and when you shake the cookie sheet and it sounds like dried leaves shaking around.
Let cool, transfer to bowl and ENJOY! You (and your family) will be surprised at how tasty they really are…not the intense veggie-taste you’ll expect. The spinach chips are slightly sweeter and milder in flavor. The kale chips provide a more satisfying crunch!

20 Responses to Make Spinach Chips (Your Kids will LOVE!)

1. Brenda says:

Thank you for this! I’m a type 2 diabetic that has “graduated” to using insulin and I’m always looking for that satisfying crunch that usually only potato chips give. I will add these to my list of friendly foods!

2. Amanda says:

These sound great! I’ll have to give them a go tomorrow – I have leftover kale AND spinach on my counter. Wonder if my 17 month old will be addicted to them?

3. Katy says:

I love this! I want to try it ASAP!

4. Katelynn Olson says:

Oh man these look good! Can they be made in a toaster oven? I’m living in a dorm with no access to an oven (except when I go home, which is not very often). It’s so hard being healthy and a vegetarian in college :P
    LOVE Kale.

• Breanna says:

I’d guess that the toaster oven will work just fine, though you may have to figure out if your bake time will be a bit different. the biggest bummer about using the toaster oven will be how small the batches are! (hint: bake the next batch while you’re eating the first!)

5. monika says:

I just posted kale chips recipe on my blog few days ago, I love them too! I will try the spinach for sure, thanks for sharing, Monika

6. I have done Kale and Rainbow Chard, not sure why it never occurred to me to make spinach, when it is so readily available. Now I would love to make some with balsamic vinegar drizzled on them before baking!

7. Denise says:

Try this – Sprinkle the following powders…sour cream and onion, Sharp cheddar cheese and butter sprinkles (3 separate powders all 5 calories each by Land-o-Lakes). They’re like “Butter Buds” sprinkle and this makes these spinach chips POP!!! Just like regular chips.

8. April says:

This is something I Definitely want to try. It’s good to find something to satisfy the crunch craving without packing on the pounds. BTW, what is MCT oil?

9. Melanie says:

I live on these…i mix oil and apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle, and use that and sprinkle salt. makes super easy and mess free salt and vinegar chippies!

10. Nicole says:

I just made them and did not like them at all!

11. Meg says:

Can’t wait to try them! Thanks for sharing :)

12. This recipe looks delish and can not wait to try them. I like the suggestion of the oil and vinegar to spritz on them. Thank you!

13. Julie Peters says:

How can I store these and for how long? I’d love to make these ahead to take on an upcoming road trip.

14. Breanna says:

I’d store them in an airtight container, not a ziplock baggie as they’d get crumbled. I’ve never had leftovers to know how long they’d stay crisp. my guess is that within a day or so they’d start to get a bit soggy again (especially here in the rainy pacific northwest!)

as far as road trips go, you may have much better luck with the kale chips over the spinach chips.

15. Jamie says:

Can you suggest some good seasonings for these?! I’m going to make the kale, spinach and mustard greens chips tomorrow!!! I read that nutritional yeast is really good on them.. Have you tried this?!

• Breanna says:

I’ve never tried nutritional yeast. Most often I just use salt, but once in awhile I sprinkle powdered stevia and cinnamon for a sweeter treat. I don’t like spicy foods, but I’d guess you could explore spicy seasoning blends. Maybe look for ideas online for seasoned popcorn recipes and see if you like the sound of any of those!