From Our Sponsors:

Make an Edible Candy Bowl

Today’s post is a lesson in improvisation. Why? Well, this project was INTENDED to be a candy tray, a fancy version of something I saw done flawlessly at Tutto Bella. After reading through that tutorial, I thought it would be a breeze! Famous last words, right?

Now, if I was a crafting perfectionist, or blogging perfectionist, or if I’d had two more cups of coffee today, maybe I’d’ve tried a second time to make my vision work…but I’m not, I’m not, and I didn’t. So, instead, you get first dibs at seeing my next submission to Craft Fail, and hopefully a little inspiration to think quickly on your crafting feet before you completely scrap the next project that doesn’t turn out as it should. Also, please do try this project with your kiddos! It’s a great activity for this holiday break, costs only $2 or $3, and yours might actually turn out properly!

Supplies:

• candy canes- $1 for twelve
  • old fashioned hard candies- $1
  • starlight mints- $1 for a bag, I used just one for this particular project

Unwrap the candy canes and starlight mint and arrange on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper. It’ll be okay if there are some spaces in between candy canes, as they’ll spread when they melt. Put the hard candies into a bag and pound them with a rolling pin or other hard object to break them into little pieces. The littler the pieces the better here (I realized this too late).

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, but watch it closely the whole time!! Please tell me you can see what I was going for in this first picture? I envisioned a stained glass window sort of effect…a beautiful little tray to serve treats or leave out with Santa’s cookies on Christmas Eve. Except…well, you can see what happened. The outsides melted way faster than the insides, and bubbled up, ruining the look I was hoping for. I pulled it out of the oven, and set it aside for a minute planning to just throw it away.

Then I realized it was still quite hot and pretty pliable, so I quickly grabbed a bowl, turned it upside down and placed the whole thing on top. I tried to form it a bit as I went along, very gently so it wouldn’t crack and break. I let it cool completely, turned it over and removed the wax paper. Is it the cutest thing you’ve ever seen? I sure hope not!!! But it’s not a total flop! It’s a cute way to display candies on the counter, or to hold trail mix at your holiday party this weekend. It’s fragile, it won’t last a super long time. But honestly I’m kinda proud of it! It looks interesting, and will probably be a great conversation starter when friends come to call!

62 Responses to Make an Edible Candy Bowl

1. rebecca marie says:

i basically want to make this, right now.

how hot for how long?

• Breanna says:

i can’t believe i neglected to include that info! thanks for the heads up…i’ve included it in the post now. 350 for 8-10 minutes. but watch it THE WHOLE TIME.

• Jill Bornstein says:

Have you tried making edible panties using this method ? Do you think it is hygienically safe ?

2. Stephanie says:

I love how it turned out! I think I like the bowl idea even better than a tray. Great job on your not so failish fail.

3. Rici Preuit says:

I’ll try it this week to display my peppermint bark in. I’ll just keep it in the fridge until Christmas! Thanks for trying this out. it JUST may be a new tradition!

4. Kat says:

This is just adorable and it’s making my mouth water! Thanks for sharing!

5. Michelle L. says:

Good grief, Breanna, you are nuts for making light of how this turned out. It’s gorgeous and I completely love it! Such fun! Also, speaking as a chocoholic, these are the candies I never want to eat…a fabulous way to use them up.

6. Kathy S says:

The dish is really neat! Is the finished prodcut sticky?

7. Rene says:

I think this is one of the coolest ideas I’ve ever seen! Made this tonite with my niece, and I have a question. I didn’t peel off the wax paper until it had cooled and it’s not coming off. Any suggestions? Light misting of water to loosen?

8. Karen says:

Perfect-schmerfect. Your bowl, being an actual bowl with sides, is infinitely cooler than the original. Also, what’s this about not thinking on your feet? You took a bubbly-edged flat thing and not only turned it into a 3D thing, but smoothed out the surface texture at the same time! It is splendid, and I find it superior to the flat, mints-only version.

9. omg that’s crazy cool!

10. Karlie says:

I bet if you turned the heat down on the oven and let the candy come up to temp more slowly you could get a more even melt.

11. Nancy says:

Could you cover the whole thing with some kind of varnish so that it does last longer? That would be really cool!

12. So clever Breanna! What a great idea – so glad I stumbled upon this. I surely gave it a thumbs up :)

Jenna

13. janice says:

love the dollar store ideas!

14. Chris says:

To bring out the inner goat in all of us!

15. MIchelle says:

I tried the plate too and my candies melted at different rates too. The peppermint candies melt the slowest and without running, but other candies melt way fast. I liked how you thought to turn it over a bowl. I would just shape my edges into “straight” lines to make it more like the serving trays in those other pictures. It was a hit at the party.

16. Susie B says:

LOVE it!! I’d coat it in resin to make it more sturdy. Non-edible, but maybe permanent?

17. Carrie says:

This is adorable! I love it… My husband (who’s an artist) loves it too. What a perfect idea for next Christmas!

18. Linda Donaldson says:

When I made stain glass cookies, I used chopped life savers..the effect was great..I wonder if you could use those to make this? Or maybe decrease the oven temp to let it work a little longer? I thought this was really cute.

19. Courtney says:

This is so awesome!

20. Jill says:

Awesome! Reminds me of a edible version of those old record bowls… I’ll have to try this sometime!

peace&love, Jill
    Favor the Brave

21. Darby Miller says:

any other candy alternatives? would like to try this later in the year

• Breanna says:

I think any hard candy will work…maybe try jolly ranchers? that might create a really cool look! the dollar store has a variety of hard candies year round, so you can experiment!

22. Hayley says:

What about smashing them first? I think I will do something like this for a friend’s wedding shower.

23. Awesome amy says:

I just tried this and it is currently setting. I used 4 left over candy canes that i broke into small sticks, allens lolly pops and heards. i broke them up and the effect is like stained glass. It was in the oven for 6 minutes and turend out nice, slightly deformed but nice. thanx heaps for the idea. Simply great. :)

24. Amanda says:

Breanna! I think it’s way cool! Even if it didn’t turn out like you originally plañned you created something awesome and unique ;)

25. Valerie Wormald says:

Every year I end up with left over candy canes – now I know what to do with them! Thanks. Cheers

26. Margie says:

What if you baked it in a round pizza pan instead of a cookie sheet. Maybe the edges would be more even.

27. Robin B. says:

I love this idea! I saw something similar recently, made with jolly ranchers in a microwave..it was a rose bouquet. I guess they were warmed, flattened and rolled into shape. really cute!

28. Kathy says:

Instead of making a bowl, I made a ornament that looks really nice. I used a cooke cutter and filled it with candycane-broken up. Use a simple formation-I had a stocking cookie cutter. I had to do it a couple of times,each time learning what to do and what not. I think it would work great if you had a metal cookie cutter. I would try puttig the cutter in the oven while the candy was melting. I think it would hold the formation well. Otherwise,after you take it out use the cutter again,jiggle it a litte to perfect the formation. it will smoothe the edge. My first experiment You can also use a file. The cookie cutter method works grat) I also had a smoothe pounder to make it flatter. Unfortunately ,one time it had cooled down too much when I tried to flatten it and it broke. It did not necessarily need to be flattened any more .You have to work fast so it does not break while you are doing this. I took a sucker stick-(like a tootsie pop,or anything round to put a hole in it so I can put a ribbon in it and hang on the tree.It turned out nice. I just experimented the first time. If it does not turn out you canbreak it up and use again. That is what is nice=nothing goes to waste.
    Thanks for the idea! Have fun.

29. Dawn Price says:

Okay, I’m gonna try this and let you know how it turns out. I’ve some of the perfect tortilla pan. I’m hoping the candy will form to the pan. I might be able to do it inside the pan instead of on top of it. Just an idea. Like I said I’ll let you know how it works.

30. Angie says:

How did you get the wax paper off? I couldn’t get it to come off…. :(

• Breanna says:

i just carefully peeled as much off as I could. There were a few small bits left, but once I filled the bowl with candy none of them were visible.

31. Angie says:

How do you get the wax paper off?

32. christine says:

do not see the anwser to how to get the wax paper off

33. Mary says:

Use parchment paper instead of wax paper, works great!

34. Jen says:

I’m so glad I’m not the only who thought this was the cutest thing ever! I’m looking at the pic before I read the article , the whole time thinking it was soo cute! Thanks for sharing , I’m definitely trying this :)

35. Jen says:

I’m so glad im not the only one who thought this was the cutest thing ever! I’m looking at the picture before I read the article thinking how cute this was , thank you for sharing definitely trying this!

36. Maureen Carlson says:

Some pointers: You can use your pizza cutter to cut straight edges and cookie cutters can be used after you remove it from the oven to cut out shapes. Use a dowel or hard plastic straw to put a hole in the top to make the shapes into ornaments or to cut patterns around the edge of the tray and then once cooled carefully weave ribbon in and out all the way around the tray

37. Amy says:

what is the secret to keeping the wax paper from sticking to the candy I have a cute bowl with wax papet stuck to the whole inside

38. Breanna says:

i don’t have a secret…I just peeled off as much as I could, and filled the bowl with candy. None of the bits of wax paper that I couldn’t quite get off showed once the bowl was filled.

Hope it works out for you!

39. karen says:

It looks like something dale chihuly would make out of glass! Btw, i love dale chihuly. Fab. Thanks!

40. G’day! A friend referred me to your site and was sooooooooooooooo excited to make these bowls today! They came out great! WHOO HOO! Thank you!

41. Pingback: Kid in a Candy Store DIY Fluted Bowls « What's On The List?

42. G’day! As a friendly follow up, I really enjoyed making these bowls inspired by your blog too! So a VERY big thank you and Happy New Year! WHOO HOO!
    LOTS of fun and provided some more hints and tips too!

43. Pingback: Top 12 Dollar Store Crafts of 2012 | Dollar Store Mom Frugal Fun – Crafts for Kids

44. Charlie says:

for a stained glass look, try jolly ranchers. they melt quicker than the starmints and look so beautiful!

45. Pingback: Life Is Like a Bowl of Candy « What's On The List?

46. Lynn says:

While I love how your bowl turned out and feel you are not taking enough credit for it I was also interested in your idea of it looking like stained glass. I wonder if you smashed the candy used in the centre to almost dust and didn’t use as much if you would end up with something more similar to stained glass. Maybe you would have to lower your temp a little and leave it a little longer in the oven to allow for the melted mass to melt more to cover the surface.